As theater-lovers, the name Andrew Lloyd Webber is one that is synonymous with successful and much beloved Broadway theater. In fact, Andrew Lloyd Webber is the composer of some of the world’s best-known musicals from his first musical in 1967, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to his most recent, Cinderella, which is planned to open in London’s West End in 2021, Webber is known the world around for his amazing talent.
What Awards Has Andrew Lloyd Webber Won?
In 1992, David Lloyd Webber was knighted by Her Majesty the Queen for services to the theatre throughout the world. While this may have been one of his most memorable moments, he has been bestowed many more awards through his long career in the entertainment industry.
Andrew’s awards as a composer and producer include seven Tonys, seven Oliviers, fourteen Ivor Novellos and an Oscar for Best Song, “You Must Love Me” in Evita. In addition to these awards, Webber has been awarded by the American Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Kennedy Center Honors, the London Evening Standard Theater Award, and the American Academy of Arts and Letters Richard Rodgers Award for Excellence in Musical Theater.
What Are Some of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Best Known Shows?
It goes without saying that pretty much everything Andrew works on is gold. He has a long list of musicals and shows that he has worked on, but there are, by far, our favorites over the years.
- Evita, the musical masterpiece about the little-known wife of an Argentinian president is among his top hits.
- Jesus Christ Superstar, the rock-musical about Jesus has some of Andrew’s greatest hits.
- The Phantom of the Opera is probably one of the most successful British musicals in history.
- The biblical musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is filled with high drama and amazingly catchy songs.
- Sunset Boulevard is about an aging film queen who can not accept that her stardom is coming to an end.
- One of the most pivotal musicals in Webber’s life is the musical Cats, with an all feline cast.
- School of Rock is not only catchy, but fun in the experience of watching child performers rise to the challenge.
Not only is Andrew Lloyd Webber a magician when it comes to musical theater, but he also owns many theaters himself. Since 1983, Webber has invested as an owner of theaters, and now owns seven London theaters! For more information about Andrew from his childhood love of music and through his illustrious career in musical theatre check out this interactive site that allows you to thumb through his awards, review his life’s work, and take a closer look at his contributions to the theater world.