Do you love the theater? If so, you probably enjoy sharing the experience with a friend, loved one, spouse, or even your children. Sharing your love of the theater with your kids can be a magical experience. Finding an age appropriate show that captures the heart and interest of your child can be a bit tricky, though. We suggest starting with award winning shows, favorite children’s books, or films that s/he can relate to and follow the storyline easily. Here are some great choices to spark your child’s love for the theater:
- Wicked – Based on the story of Oz, children will love the costumes, flying monkeys, and robust score. This show is on Broadway through the end of September.
- Aladdin – Most children will recognize this Disney classic that follows the antics of Aladdin and the Genie, and the blooming relationship with Jasmin. Children will enjoy the scenery, costumes, songs they can sing along to, and characters they have come to love. This show runs through mid-August.
- School of Rock Musical – Based on the 2003 feature film School of Rock, children will love the music and energetic actors who play students vying for a spot in the musical.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – This favorite film and book runs on Broadway through January 2018. Children will love the story of Charlie as he wins his way into the mysterious chocolate factory and all the adventures to be had within.
- Spongebob Squarepants – No, not your average Broadway Theater show, but loved nonetheless. This zany sponge who lives under the sea will delight even the youngest of viewers.